A Message From DHN Executive Director Jacalyn Slemmer
Dear DHN Members and Friends:
I would like to share with you the mission of Disability Housing Network:
To promote best practices in the development, management and sustainability of an array of housing options for individuals with developmental disabilities.
In 2017, DHN will continue to focus on developing safe, affordable housing opportunities for individuals with developmental disabilities while offering professional development, technical assistance, advocacy and housing information to our members.
In 2017 DHN will continue to support Housing Corporations and County Boards of DD in the following ways:
• Technical Assistance: DHN provides technical assistance and capacity building in the areas of housing planning, development and management.
• Conferences and Trainings: we will continue to survey members on topics of interest and bring quality training opportunities to you in the form of an annual conference with high quality special interest topics
• Regional Meetings: provide opportunities for Housing Corporation and County Board staff to network and discuss best practices for housing development and management
• Web-based Resources: expanded resources through the OACB’s website, we are able to share best practice policies and procedures for the management of housing and nonprofit boards
• Collective Voice: share information and provide recommendations to DODD based on feedback from DHN Members
• Research: DHN will continue researching national and statewide model approaches to community based housing programs and will provide the information to County Boards, Housing Corporations and other stakeholders
• Development Resources: DHN will continue to work with the Ohio Housing Finance Agency and the Ohio Development Services on the integration of housing for people with disabilities into Ohio’s development funding resources and affordable housing system
We look forward to a strong year in both the development and management of housing for individuals with developmental disabilities.
Please complete and return the membership application below and become a member of Disability Housing Network in 2017.
About Disability Housing Network
The Disability Housing Network was created because many people realized the importance of quality housing and that there was little to no attention being given to the development, management, and supervision of this area of supported living services in Ohio. Today, DHN is a member driven organization with a mission focused on providing much needed support and assistance to County Boards of DD and Housing Boards that manage and operate homes for individuals with disabilities in Ohio.
By leveraging the experience and intellect of our members, we have developed “best practice” resources that can be utilized by all member counties while creating a collective voice for advocacy. We strongly believe that if we work together we can strengthen and improve disability housing standards and practices in Ohio. Continue reading
Over the past year, DHN has had many successes. Not only have we had insightful and well-attended statewide conferences, we have completed our first year of a grant received from the DD Council for a capacity building project with Housing Corporations across the state, focusing on governance policies, housing policies, and local housing planning. Continue reading